Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Flapjacks with Charlie

Last Saturday morning, Charlie and I found ourselves alone for breakfast. Peyton was asleep and Nate was out getting us our new picnic table. So, as a special treat (just as much for me as her!) I decided to make flapjacks with her.

IMG_4837

The recipe is out of an old family cookbook and was submitted by my great-grandma. I have no idea how far back it goes, but I like the idea of eating something that my grandma had as a little girl. Plus, my brother and I thought these were the greatest when we were growing up. We'd make stacks and stacks of these things! (I do know for a fact that he still does. . .)

The recipe is REALLY simple:

1 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
milk to make the batter thin

IMG_4840

mix all ingredients and pour just enough to thinly cover the bottom of a hot skillet.

IMG_4838

once the edges start to turn brown, flip and finish cooking on other side.

IMG_4841

stack all the flapjacks on a plate, cut into fourths, roll and serve dipped in sugar.


IMG_4844

I haven't had these in forever! I'm so glad I made them with Charlie. I think she liked dipping the yummy little rolls and enjoyed "helping" make her breakfast.

IMG_4849

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm....I still make flapjacks all the time! Derek thinks its dumb that we call it that. He has some fancy German Mennonite name but they'll always be flapjacks to me! Dad never liked them so it was always such a treat growing up because we got them whenever he went out of town. Love getting to see your life from so far away! Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popped over from your comment on Design*Sponge because I noticed you too are in Nashville. Love your posts! And you have a beautiful family! Best of luck on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad that you've stopped by this blog & I LOVE hearing your feedback and questions — however, as this blog is no longer active I may not see it!! But no worries! I've moved all content from this blog to my new website and would appreciate it if you visited me over there: Lori Danelle.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails